Classroom Assistant (Youth Programs Assistant)
Part time, non-benefitted position
$8.00 - $10.00 an hour
10 - 20 hours per week, schedule varies, mostly weekend work
Red Butte Garden is seeking a part-time Youth Programs Assistant. Join a great team and gain valuable experience planning and teaching weekend youth programs at the Garden.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
• Leading birthday parties
• Planning and teaching Saturday Garden Adventure classes
• Assisting the Youth Programs Manager and Programs Registrar with other activities and events as needed
This is an entry-level position. Training will be provided. Must demonstrate an interest in learning about child development and guidance; a willingness to take direction from the assigned teacher; willing to obtain a food handlers permit, TB test, Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) background check, first aid training are required. Demonstrated human relation and effective human relations skills are also required.
• High school graduate
• Able to work weekends
• Background in education, environmental studies or horticulture
• Demonstrated human relations skills and effective communication skills
• Previous experience working with children and some knowledge of basic lesson planning
• Must be flexible and able to work both independently and as part of a team
• An interest in plants demonstrated either by education or previous employment
• Experience working in an outdoor setting
Office Assistant (Event Host/Hostess)
Visitor Services Department
Part time, seasonal position
$9.28 - $9.50 an hour
Hours and shifts vary, evening and weekend work required
Red Butte Garden is currently accepting applications and resumes from professional, energetic individuals to assist in the set-up and takedown of weddings, corporate parties, and other private and special events. This is a part-time, seasonal position that begins in April and runs through October.
This position involves coordination with vendors, event planners, and other Red Butte Garden departments while providing top-quality guest services to event attendees and clients. Ideal applicants should have at least one year experience in customer service and/or event implementation, excellent communication skills, and basic computer skills.
High school diploma or equivalency required. One-year full-time customer service experience, demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills also required.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Staff Research Assistant (Field Biologist/Botanist)
Part time, non-benefitted position
$9.00 - $13.00 an hour
20 - 40 hours a week, schedule varies
This position is primarily a field botanist position, requiring extensive work outside and travel throughout Utah. This person will act as the lead botanist for the Seeds of Success project and work on several current research and conservation projects. Field work may involve seed collection, monitoring, field surveys, and rare plant collection and preservation. Job requires travel up to 75% of the time to remote locations where camping and hiking is required for several days at a time. The use of a personal vehicle may be necessary, though not required, and travel costs are reimbursable. Candidate must have a passion for plants and conservation, be able to work independently or in small group, be reliable, and have a willingness to learn. Position may require coordinating and overseeing volunteers. Eligible travel expenses are reimbursable.
• Bachelors degree in botany or related field
• Understanding of basic scientific protocols, procedures, and data management.
• Effective communication, written and oral
• Plant identification using herbarium specimens and dichotomous keys
• Detail oriented
• Ability to work independently and in small groups.
• Be self motivated and solve problems with minimal direction.
• GPS use and navigation
• Map reading and navigating
• 4 wheel and off road travel
• Ability to travel frequently and to remote areas. Travel required from May through September, up to six days at a time. Some camping required.
• GIS certificate or equivalent experience with ArcMap
• Knowledge of Utah flora
• Previous botanical research experience
Part time, non-benefitted position (temporary)
$7.25 to $9.50 an hour - some weekend work required
The Horticulture Department at Red Butte Garden is looking for seasonal gardeners who have a passion for gardening and working outdoors. We strongly prefer people who can commit to 16-29 hrs/wk beginning early March, understand the physical commitment required for gardening, and are able to work in a variety of weather conditions and temperature extremes.
Exact duties vary depending upon assigned team.
Outdoor Garden: weeding, mulching, planting, deadheading, pruning, watering, fertilization, pest control, trash removal, sweeping, event support, etc.
Natural Area: same as above, also trail maintenance and noxious weed removal, etc.
Greenhouse: indoor plant displays, outdoor seasonal displays, and plant production, including watering, seeding, transplanting, weeding, deadheading, pruning, fertilization, pest control, sweeping, event support, etc.
Irrigation/Lawns/Equipment: push mowing, weedeating, trash removal, irrigation system repairs, sweeping, event support, etc.
A passion for gardening and working with plants, valid US drivers license, commitment to work 16-29 hrs/wk beginning early March, proven written and oral communication skills, commitment to provide excellent customer service and ability to work cooperatively with others, understand the physical commitment required for gardening and working outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and temperature extremes, and be at least 18 years of age (University requirement for operating motorized equipment).
Previous related education and/or experience is preferred, but not required.